Welcome to San Diego Blog | November 22, 2017
Cut the Cord with these Helpful Tips!
Are you thinking of joining the recent trend of people who are saying goodbye to the cable company and the outrageous monthly bill but have some reservations? I know I did before I cut the cord, but after over 2 years without cable I can tell you it was definitely the right choice! Here are some tips to make the transition easier on you whether you choose a streaming cable service or just streaming(from personal experience!)
- Do you need a streaming cable service?
- Do you NEED to watch live TV? Are you afraid you will miss your favorite shows too much? Fear not! There are streaming cable services that offer customizable packages, giving you only the content you want. With so many options to chose from when it comes to a streaming cable service that the hardest part is figuring out the best service for you. There are multiple streaming cable alternatives such as SlingTv, Directv Now, Playstation Vue, Youtube TV, etc. that allow you to watch live TV without the cost or commitment of cable. I use SlingTV during the Anaheim Ducks season as they show the games live, but as soon as the season is over, so is my subscription. So if you are curious about streaming cable, give it a try as most services offer a free trial period.
- Which Streaming Service is right for you?
- There are also quite a few streaming services and devices to choose from. These devices essentially turn your TV into a tablet without the touch screen, allowing you to access apps and original programming. The most popular of these devices the Roku, Amazon Firestick, Google Chromecast and AppleTv. All of these save for Chromecast have an on-screen menu and remote, replicating the familiar TV experience. For a review of the most popular models check out this article from PCMag.com. Pick the right device for you, not just the most popular or trendy one!
- Where does my content come from?
- This is another thing I was worried about when I cut the cord. I assumed that the best shows would always be on cable where all the money comes from right? I couldn’t have been more wrong in 2015 and that is even more true in 2017 (almost 2018!). NetFlix is releasing original content (Stranger Things anyone) and continues to have some of the most popular shows. Amazon and Hulu are not far behind with their original content with shows such as The Handmaids Tale and Transparent. If this is not enough you are always able to watch YouTube and they just released their own service with original content as well! If this is still not enough for you, you can always head somewhere that does have what you are looking for! If you are a sports fan, go watch the game with friends. Plan a girls night at someone’s house who does have cable! Bottom line: You will never be starved for content!
Cutting the cord can be a rewarding experience if you track your savings and use them to enjoy life so get started today and cut the cord!